Computer-based trainings for military experts
Development of simulation software dedicated for group training is rated among key areas where the Simulator Office of OBRUM is involved and may boast with achievements. The expertize of the Office in the field of IT technologies is being continuously improved and combination of them with the modern vision of training programs makes it possible to offer trainings systems that enable simultaneous cooperation of machinery operators (of civil engineering machines, mobile bridges or robots), crews of combat vehicles and representatives of commanding headquarters.
Instruments used for software development are based on the most sophisticated IT technologies in the fields of advanced 3D computer imaging, embedded into real-time simulation systems. The solutions offered by OBRUM, merged with adequate computer hardware, enable development of comprehensive training systems, so called Simulations Labs (also the term Battle Labs is used).
Training capacities of Simulation Labs can be enhanced when workstations for computer-based training are interconnected with simulation systems on other levels and resolutions (e.g. the JCATS simulator, the comprehensive shooting simulators BESKID 2M/K or the SJCL-6P tool. Integration with the manipulation systems is possible due to the fact that simulation software is compatible with HLA/DSI interfaces.
OBRUM has completed two implementation programs related to comprehensive supplies of equipment for training facilities dedicated for trainings of military expert teams:
1. In 2015/2016 upon an order from Military University of Technology (WAT), OBRUM developed a workstation for training operators of robots for engineer troops. The entire assignment comprised 8 training workstations for attendees and one instructor workstation, along with a broad range of jobs that enables virtual cooperation of trainees in the VBS 3.0 environment. The completed project included:
• development of maps,
• on-line modifications of parameters for models of equipment and objects used for teaching scenarios,
• development and implementation of new models of robots, equipment units and objects (>60 altogether),
• modelling of watercourse crossing with the use of amphibious means and with consideration of interactions with watercourse bottoms and banks as well as water flow velocity,
• modelling of collisions and merging of objects (mounting),
• development and edition of behaviour algorithms with the use of artificial intelligence tools,
• implementation of dynamic functionalities corresponding to changes of weather conditions and time of the day.
2. In 2015 the Simulator Office equipped the Division of Tactic Simulation at Military University of Land Forces in Wrocław. The contract included 24 training workstations running under the VBS 3.0 simulation environment.
The software developed for that purpose offered the following advantages:
• launching tactic battle games on various commanding levels, from a squad up to a company,
• launching training sessions together with a squad of infantrymen,
• built-in editor to allow development of own scenarios and introduction of new armament means,
• real-time modification of environmental factors (weather conditions, visibility),
• programmable operator/instructor panel to allow remote launching of training scenarios on all computer at the same time,
• possibility to train Joint Terminal Attack Controllers (JTAC) and Forward Air Controllers (FAC) to drill skills of comprehensive fire support from artillery and aviation,